I have been through my fair share of relationships. I have thought I was in love, been treated like crap, and for some strange reason put up with it. I have also watched the majority of my friends be “in love” with their significant other. And by be “in love” I mean have crazy fights, be insecure, bring each other down, the list goes on and on.
I am lucky enough to have found my soul mate. The person that lifts me up and gives me a reason to live. The person who has completely changed me for the better. The person who I never thought I even deserved.
So how do you know when your soul has found your mate? How do you know the person you are with is truly for you? This is how I knew when I found mine.
1. He/she is always thinking of my best interest
It doesn’t matter what we’re doing. We could be discussing moving across the country or what we should have for dinner. He is always thinking of what is best for me. He never makes me feel uncomfortable or do anything I don’t want to do.
2. He/she says, “I love you,” every day
We’ve been dating almost three years now. Since the day he told me he loved me he hasn’t missed an opportunity to tell me over and over again.
3. He/she gets me
Truly we get each other. In the weird way your best friend gets you. We laugh at jokes only we think are funny, we crave the same food at the same time, we share our secrets and binge watch crime shows together. Most importantly, we get how to make each other happy. We understand how important it is to have each other’s back.
4. He/She makes me feel beautiful
And sexy. And confident. He never lacks in the compliment department. He always seems to know just the right time to tell me I look beautiful. More than my physical appearance, he makes me feel beautiful on the inside as well.
5. He/she lets me fail He guides me, but not too much. Being younger than he is he knows what life mistakes I am bound to make. But he doesn’t take those learning experiences away from me. He let’s me try, fail and try again. Only when I come to him for help does he offer a solution.
6. He/she inspires me I am truly inspired and in awe of him. He is so intelligent and caring. I look up to him. And since he is such a great person I want to be the best version of myself for him. I work harder than I ever have before and I know I have him to thank.
7. He/she trusts me Oh, how nice it is to be trusted! I have been in jealous relationships where I was constantly being ridiculed and scolded. I never felt more down. Being trusted is so invigorating. I don’t feel trapped. I don’t have to second-guess everything that I do because I’m worried it is going to upset him. He is secure. And because of that I can be secure with him.
8. He makes sacrifices for me Sacrifices have to be made in relationships. That’s just the way it is. To be able to make a sacrifice is to be able to put your significant other ahead of you. He makes sacrifices as small as eating what I want to eat to as big as putting his future plans on hold so I can graduate and do the plans with him. To me, that says I love you more than anything.
9. He does “the little things” He buys me flowers and my favorite candy when I’m sad. He surprises me by taking me on an unexpected date. He won’t ditch me for his friends. He will drive an hour and a half at 2 a.m. to see me at school just because I asked. Actions speak louder than words, and his actions only further confirm his love for me.
10. He makes me sure Since we’ve been dating, I’ve not for one second doubted he was the one for me. Even before we we’re dating I knew there was just something about him. My life is crazy and I live in a daze of confusion. I never know what I want or what I should do. But there is one thing that remains 100% consistent in my life, and it is that I know my soul has found my mate. Him.